A family of alleged Islamic extremists are accused of planning to bring down a passenger plane in an ISIS-inspired terror attack in Australia.
Two Lebanese-Australian father and son duos are reportedly the four men arrested over the alleged plot after dramatic raids across Sydney on Saturday afternoon.
While the full extent of the alleged conspiracy is not yet known, the men may have planned to detonate a homemade bomb on a flight from Sydney to the Middle East, possibly Dubai, Seven News reported.
A kitchen mincer is believed to be among the everyday items the alleged attackers used to form a lethal device, according to the Herald Sun.
The apparatus was reportedly 'ready to go' as counter-terrorism police stormed properties across the city's west and inner-east.
There are also reports they had allegedly plotted to gas passengers aboard an aircraft in a plan orchestrated by ISIS militants in Syria, according to The Australian.
The paper was told the four, who are all related by blood and marriage, allegedly made a 'non-traditional' device designed to kill passengers with a sulphur-based gas.
Scroll down for video
Two father and son duos are reportedly the four men accused of plotting to bring down a plane departing from Sydney with a homemade bomb. Pictured, one of the men is detained by police
One of the accused is pictured with a bandaged head following his arrest on Saturday night
Australian Federal Police at the check-in at Sydney Airport on Sunday as part of heightened security measures across the country
Police standing by at Sydney Airport on Sunday following the dramatic raids on Saturday afternoon
The accused, whose names are known to Daily Mail Australia but not yet confirmed by police, were arrested in the simultaneous raids.
Australian Federal Police, ASIO and NSW Police jointly carried out the operation on Saturday in Surry Hills, Lakemba, Wiley Park and Punchbowl.
One of the men was reportedly dragged from his Lakemba home wearing only a towel, while his father was arrested at a property in neighbouring Punchbowl.
The other father and son duo are understood to have been arrested in separate raids.
Counter terrorism police (pictured) stormed four Sydney properties and arrested four men including one man (pictured) at Surry Hills after being alerted to an alleged plot to bring down an plane with a 'bomb'
Police are seen continuing their investigations in the aftermath of the Sydney terror raids
Long queues and waits were expected following a thwarted alleged terror threat on Saturday
The counter-terror raid in Surry Hills (pictured) took place just metres from the Redfern Mosque (pictured)
One man draped in a bed sheet with a heavily-bandaged head was seen being led into an ambulance outside a Surry Hills property.
The man appeared to be distressed and bleeding from the head as he walked to a waiting ambulance, Nine News reported.
He could be heard saying 'they bashed me.' When asked by who, he answered 'police.'
When asked why he was being arrested, the man mumbled 'I don't know nothing.'
Shocked neighbours have said the family living in the property were 'perfectly nice and normal people.'
'We knew them to say hello to and they seemed nice,' said one woman, who didn't want to be identified.
The woman, who lives at the back of the property, said an elderly couple lived in the home and had adult children.
AUSTRALIAN TERROR PLOT FOILED: THE ALLEGATIONS
What was the plot?
The group allegedly planned to use an improvised device to bring down an aeroplane in an Islamist-inspired conspiracy.
Police say they have limited information so far about the date, location or specific strategy involved.
What happened during the raids?
NSW and Federal Police swooped on five properties in the Sydney suburbs of Surry Hills, Lakemba, Wiley Park and Punchbowl on Saturday afternoon and found a 'considerable' amount of material.
But police won't say if they discovered an actual explosive device.
Could it have happened?
AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin said they treated the plot as credible and there was an intention and 'quite possibly a capability' to carry it out.
However, he also said there was no reason to believe security at Australian airports has been jeopardised.
What happens now?
The arrested men haven't yet been charged. Police say their searches at four of the properties are ongoing and could take 'many more days' as they gather enough evidence to support charges.
What's changing at airports?
Travellers have been told to arrive two hours earlier to make allowances for increased scrutiny.
They may notice "intensified" security procedures, but some bolstered arrangements will happen behind the scenes.
Travellers have also been asked to limit baggage to make things easier.
Forensic teams (pictured) and the bomb squad attended the scene during the Surry Hills raid
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has told the public not to panic and to inform police (pictured) of any suspicious activity
Police said raids took place in the suburbs of Surry Hills, Lakemba, Punchbowl, and Wiley Park
Residents living near the Surry Hills home, just metres from the Redfern Mosque, were evacuated while the bomb squad worked to remove the 'explosive device.'
One neighbour of a man arrested in Wiley Park told The Daily Telegraph the accused would nurture stray cats in the area.
'He and his brother would feed about 15 cats and when we complained that they were bringing ticks and diseases into the block, they would walk off,' they said.
Relatives of two of the accused spoke out following the arrests, saying they 'love Australia.'
The four men arrested for their alleged role in the conspiracy can be detained for up to a week while investigators comb through evidence.
A magistrate ruled police can hold the men for an 'additional period of detention' under the Crimes Act while investigations continue.
'This recognises that terrorism investigations are inherently complex and that there can be legitimate reasons for extended periods of detention for suspects in such matters,' an AFP statement said.
Airports across Australia are experiencing long queues, with frustrated travellers vented their anger on social media
Passengers waiting after long queues formed following heightened security at airports
Police on the scene in the Lakemba area following the aftermath of the Sydney terror raids which resulted in four arrests
A number of 'items of interest' were seized in the raids and searches continued on Sunday, with AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin suggesting they may take 'many more days'.
The plan involved an improvised device and was Islamist-inspired, he added.
'We've taken this threat very seriously,' Mr Colvin said.
'You should infer that we think this was credible and there was an intention, and there was quite possibly a capability as well.'
Airports across Australia are experiencing long queues after Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull warned of heightened security measures across the nation.
Source : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4743356/Airport-chaos-Islamist-terror-plot-thwarted.html