Published on November 26th, 2013 | by Zachary Shahan
Wind Farm Bird Deaths vs Fossil Fuel & Nuclear Power Bird Deaths
November 26th, 2013 by
This article was jointly written by one of CleanTechnica’s readers and Zachary Shahan.
It’s a shame when a beautiful (or even an ugly) animal dies. It’s a shame that wind turbines do indeed kill birds. However, every source of electricity we have kills some number of birds. And while solar panels may fare better than anything else, it’s actually clear (and uplifting) that wind turbines fare better than nuclear or fossil-fueled power plants on this front.
Here’s some info on bird kills per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity produced:
- Wind farms kill roughly 0.27 birds per GWh.
- Nuclear plants kill about 0.6 birds per GWh. (2.2x wind)
- Fossil-fueled power stations kill about 9.4 birds per GWh. (34.8x wind)
OK, so now we know that wind farms are not one of our birds’ biggest problems. And we know that closing nuclear and coal plants and replacing them with wind farms would be better for the birds. Should we stop there?
No, we can make wind farms even safer for birds.
In 2009, there were 12.5 bird kills per MW of installed wind capacity.
In 2012, there were 9.5 bird kills per MW of installed wind capacity.
That’s a 24% decrease. A very major improvement in bird safety. And we aren’t done yet.
- >Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Flipboard (Opens in new window)
- >Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- >Click to print (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- >Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
About the Author>
Zachary Shahan Zach is tryin' to help society help itself (and other species) with the power of the word. He spends most of his time here on CleanTechnica as its director and chief editor, but he's also the president of >Important Media and the director/founder of >EV Obsession and >Solar Love. Zach is recognized globally as a solar energy, electric car, and energy storage expert. He has presented about cleantech at conferences in India, the UAE, Ukraine, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, the USA, and Canada. Zach has long-term investments in TSLA, FSLR, SPWR, SEDG, & ABB — after years of covering solar and EVs, he simply has a lot of faith in these particular companies and feels like they are good cleantech companies to invest in. But he offers no professional investment advice and would rather not be responsible for you losing money, so don't jump to conclusions.
Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2013/11/26/wind-farm-bird-deaths-fossil-fuel-nuclear-bird-deaths/