Renault has unveiled its vision for Formula 1 in 10 years' time with a new concept design that aims to put drivers at the heart of the sport.
Numerous futuristic concept designs for the future of F1 have been unveiled in recent years, with Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren all sharing their thoughts on what cars may look like in years to come.
As part of its showcase at the Shanghai Auto Show, Renault offered the world a glimpse of its vision of what a more driver-led, environmentally-friendly and safer F1 may look like.
Renault's vision centres around:
- A more human-centric championship with drivers at the heart of the sport, as illustrated by a transparent cockpit and a transparent helmet that allow the drivers to be seen in the heat of the action.
- A more spectacular show, with active LED lighting incorporated into the wheels and moving aerodynamic parts such as the car's active wings.
- Safer racing thanks to an autonomous mode that can be activated in the case of an accident, along with an ultra-resistant polycarbonate cockpit canopy to protect against impact.
- More extensive interaction between the cars and greater connection with spectators. Fans will be able to view the telemetry data of their favourite driver for example.
- Ultra-high-performance racing that benefits from Groupe Renault's expertise in the realms of four-wheel drive, four-wheel steering and very high-energy density batteries.
- An even more environmentally-respectful form of Formula 1, with the fuel tank capacity halved in the space of 10 years, plus a full-electric mode for use along the pit lane.
- The R.S. 2027 Vision also features the C-shaped lighting signature that has become a familiar hallmark of Renault's road vehicles.
"One role of Renault Sport Racing is to anticipate the future of Formula 1 so that it draws a maximum number of fans in an environment consistent with Groupe Renault's objectives," Renault Sport Racing chief Cyril Abiteboul said.
"We look forward to generating inspired conversations with the racing community, fans and enthusiasts through this concept that highlights our ideas and desires."
Our vision for the future of @F1: putting the driver at the very heart of racing. Here's our amazing #RS2027vision concept car. pic.twitter.com/6o7PA5ELDI-- Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) April 19, 2017
A few of the highlights: the #RS2027vision has a transparent cockpit & helmet that allows the drivers to be seen in the heat of the action pic.twitter.com/XyicOJgIUk-- Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) April 19, 2017
Active LEDs in the wheels show the driver's position & the car's energy levels. Telemetry data accessible to fans online. #RS2027vision pic.twitter.com/p1BfnC1TkS-- Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) April 19, 2017
Power? 1 megawatt (1341bhp) for a weight limited to 600 kilos. That's the biggest power to weight ratio in F1 ever.#RS2027vision pic.twitter.com/WCV4voIVIz-- Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) April 19, 2017
We're talking turbocharged V6 engine, two-part kinetic energy recovery system that produces up to 500kW & four-wheel steering.#RS2027vision pic.twitter.com/1QfyjXAyRW-- Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) April 19, 2017
That ladies & gents, is our vision of the #F1 future, as we celebrate 40 years in the sport. More? https://t.co/yAAa1dZ4Ee#RS2027vision pic.twitter.com/BCxxH02IZP-- Renault Sport F1 (@RenaultSportF1) April 19, 2017
Latest Tweets from
Source : http://www.crash.net/f1/news/244763/1/renault-reveals-futuristic-2027-f1-concept