Loading...

Would Fernando Alonso Actually Leave F1 To Race In IndyCar Full Time?

Loading...

McLaren F1 driver Fernando Alonso confirmed he is open to a full-time Verizon IndyCar Series ride in 2018 if he is unable to come to agreement to remain with McLaren in the Formula One World Championship.

Alonso, a two-time Formula 1 World Champion, was interviewed on the NBC Sports Network telecast of the Verizon IndyCar Series Rainguard Water Sealers 600 at Texas Motor Speedway. Alonso is in Montreal, where he will compete in Sunday’s Grand Prix of Canada.

Loading...

“Why not?” Alonso said. “I’m very open to anything. I don’t have a pure answer for right now. I would be lying to you if I tell you what is happening next year. These are the best guys in oval racing and I had to learn so many things for one race and would have to learn so many more for the full season. I’m more ready to learn and to try and find the best scenario possible and the best car possible. I will look at my best options.

“The Indy 500 is the best priority for the Triple Crown but a full-time IndyCar season? Why not?”

Alonso started fifth and finished 24th in the May 28 101st Indianapolis 500 after leading four times for 27 laps before his Honda engine failed on Lap 179 of the 200-lap contest.

“It was truly a great experience for me,” Alonso said. “All the drivers were amazing from day one trying to help me as much as they could. Outside the track, I felt a lot of respect. The speeds that we are running in the oval racing you have to have respect for one another. They were cool guys. Also, my teammates worked together as a team and that is different than F1. The whole month was a new thing for me and I really enjoyed it.

“I already miss that feeling.”

>Fernando Alonso threatens to leave McLaren F1 if team is not winning by September

>Formula 1

Fernando Alonso threatens to leave McLaren F1 if team is not winning by September

Two-time F1 champion Fernando Alonso has once again confirmed that he will leave McLaren unless they can deliver a race-winning car by September. The news comes soon after it was revealed that Honda ...

On Thursday, Alonso gave McLaren F1 a deadline of winning by September if he is going to remain with the team in 2018.

"We have to win," the Spaniard told reporters at the Canadian Grand Prix when asked what it would take to have him stay. "If we are winning before September, or something like that, I will make a decision I will stay."

McLaren is the only team yet to score a point this season and without a grand prix victory since 2012.

And what did Alonso think of the wild action at Texas Motor Speedway?

“I saw a couple of videos from last year’s race the last couple of days and it looked spectacular,” Alonso said. “I’m following the race on my computer up here in Canada. There was some drama on pit lane with Takuma Sato and Helio Castroneves and James Hinchcliffe, and then the Alexander Rossi accident.

“The race is super cool to watch.”

By Bruce Martin


Trending Hairstyles

Source : http://autoweek.com/article/indycar/f1-champion-fernando-alonso-confirms-interest-moving-indycar-full-time

F1 champion Fernando Alonso confirms interest in moving to IndyCar full time
Would Fernando Alonso Actually Leave F1 To Race In IndyCar Full-Time?
Fernando Alonso: Monaco Grand Prix leveller like throwing a dice
Fernando Alonso reveals why he almost quit F1 last year
Robin Miller's Mailbag for May 9, presented by Honda Racing/HPD
McLaren engine switch in F1 means no Fernando Alonso in IndyCar
F1 Report: Fernando Alonso's last 2018 hope for race-winning seat?
Katherine Legge chasing Pietro Fittipaldi IndyCar stand-in role
Fernando Alonso Enjoying Speculation Over His Potential IndyCar Switch
Fernando Alonso: Why I am racing in the Indy 500